Comparing Dental Implants vs. Dentures
Dental implants in Jackson from Dr. Roger Parkes and Dr. R. Clarke Stewart is often the treatment of choice today among patients who visit the doctors for missing teeth. Dentures still work, but they function quite differently than dental implants. Here’s what you need to know:
What is a dental implant?
- Titanium. Dental implants are built to last and are made with durable, decay-resistant titanium. The human body tolerates titanium. Dental implants in Jackson from periodontists Dr. Parkes and Dr. Stewart fully integrate with your jaw bone for a fit that’s more dependable than dentures.
- Abutment. The abutments are what connect the stem, or the visible part of dental implants, to the crown.
- Crown. The crown is the part that looks and functions like a real tooth and is connected permanently to the abutment.
Dentures vs. Dental Implants in Jackson
- Dental implants in Jackson with Dr. Parkes and Dr. Stewart are made with titanium, which the body tolerates well. Dentures are made from other metals and plastic that can irritate gum tissue.
- Dental implants are just like your own tooth roots. Once they integrate with your jaw bone, they function exactly like your own. You don’t even know you’re wearing them. Dentures never contact bone, but instead they sit on the gum line and will eventually move around, causing spaces. This makes eating and talking noisy and awkward.
- Regardless of how many teeth you want to replace – one or all – Dental implants in Jackson from Dr. Parkes and Dr. Stewart will do the job. Dentures are only good for patients who have several missing teeth.
- Dental implants preserve and protect your jaw bone because they stimulate it all day long to keep it healthy. Dentures can actually lead to bone loss because they never make contact with your jaw bone, which causes it to deteriorate.
- Dental implants in Jackson from Dr. Parkes and Dr. Stewart are designed to last for decades when patients take care of them the same way they would care for natural teeth. Dentures get old and weak and places stress on the gums and bone. Dentures always need to be refitted and/or replaced at some point – often more than once, which is costly over time.
For dental implants in Jackson instead of dentures call Drs. Parkes and Stewart for a consultation today!