LANAP® Periodontal Surgery for Improved Gum Health
LANAP® (Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure)
Basic Steps of the LANAP® Protocol
The Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®) laser gum surgery in Jackson with periodontists Dr. Roger Parkes and Dr. R. Clarke Stewart is the gentler, more convenient way to get healthy gums again. Some local anesthetic and about two hours of your time is all takes to treat gum disease with laser gum surgery. Most Jackson patients even resume normal activity the same day.
LANAP® Laser Gum Surgery with Jackson periodontists Drs. Parkes and Stewart:
- Assessing gum pocket depth. Dr. Parkes or Dr. Stewart will use a probe to determine how deep your gum pockets are and how much connective tissue has is detached from the roots of your teeth.
- Killing bacteria. The next step of your laser gum surgery is to target and destroy the bacteria inside your gum pockets. Thin pulses of laser energy are aimed into your pockets to kill bacteria on the spot. Your healthy tissue stays behind so it can reconnect to your tooth’s root surfaces.
- Tackling tarter/calculus. Dr. Parkes or Dr. Stewart now uses the laser to break up the hardened tarter/calculus around your teeth and then removes the particles with little ultrasonic scalers.
- Creating clots. The laser is used again to stir bits of tissue, bone and tooth root just enough to thicken some blood and make some clots. The blood clots are made to provide a protective barrier around your teeth as your gums heal.
- Compressing the gums. During this stage of your laser gum surgery, the Jackson periodontist simply compresses your healthy soft tissue to the root surfaces of your teeth and heals begins naturally – no stitches necessary.
- Correcting your bite. The last step of your laser gum surgery is to adjust your bite so that your teeth are comfortable when you chew and speak. This step is particularly important if you have any bone loss.
That’s all there it to it! Your LANAP® laser gum surgery with Jackson periodontist Dr. Parkes is finished, but your results will continue for years to come. Call Drs. Parkes and Stewart today for a laser gum surgery consultation.
“Thank you for everything! You have a very friendly office where people greet you by name. Everyone makes me feel at ease and welcome as if I'm the only patient you have. I am extremely pleased with the outcome of my periodontal treatment. Kudos to Dr. Parkes and his staff.” Alex S.